- Atmosphere News: Climate change, global warming, droughts, & storms
- Biosphere News: Animals, plants, & habitats
- Population News: Human population numbers, immigration, impacts
- Science: Summaries of Hundreds of Articles in the Natural & Environmental Sciences
- My Blog Posts: Category searches for 2K+ articles
- Headlines: The latest general news stories from Buzzflash
- Commentary: My opinions on the news
I’m including these news digests and information sources just as I continue to publish blog posts, merely to inform. I have no hopes in stopping our destruction of life on Earth.
Nature conservation, a term meaning preservation of Earth’s intricate webs of plants and animals, was humanity’s great challenge for the Twentieth Century. Nineteenth Century naturalists had clearly explained that humans were having negative effects on nature (Andrea Wulff–The Invention of Nature). At the start of the Twentieth Century conservationists such as U. S. President Teddy Roosevelt began setting up institutions to protect nature. The Dust Bowl raised awareness of conservation among farmers and school children everywhere. However, we were never able to control the ‘progress’ that inch by inch converted nature into profit. The farmers, grazers, and loggers, eroded the soils, consumed the grasslands, and cut the forests. As this went on, the rest of us moved to the cities and left nature conservation to for-profit enterprises from the single farmer up through huge corporate farms and timber companies. Nature conservation faded from common knowledge. It is clear now that we are on our way to destroying most if not all of life on Earth.
The first three sources listed above report news in continuous streams. They include stories from internet sites that have high standards for honesty and presentation quality. Following or subscribing to the newsletters produces a daily email, but if you already receive too much email, use bookmarks instead. You don’t need to join RebelMouse.
Comments and suggestions are welcome.